Epiphany Explorations 2014
When: January 16 to 20, 2014
Where: First Metropolitan United Church, 932 Balmoral Rd., Victoria, BC, V8T 1A8
Cost: $265, early-bird registration for full conference (before Nov. 30), $305 full conference registration, $30 per individual session, $125 registration for livestreaming registration and $45 FT student/low income rate
Registration opened on August 15 for Epiphany Explorations 2014, an event that for many is the highlight of their faith journey each year. Four days of learning, laughter and music characterize Epiphany Explorations. Lay and clergy participants in the conference describe it as a highlight of their faith journey each year, offering “awe, inspiration, affirmation of gifts and insights, [and a] progressive understanding of Christianity in the world”.
Some of our presenters this year are:
- Phyllis Tickle, a leading voice in Emergence Christianity, will present three sessions, focusing on understanding this, one of the most formative times in Christian history.
- Raheel Raza, Muslim-Canadian journalist, author and interfaith discussion leader, will address the need for the spiritual message of Islam to override the radical message that fuels terrorist activity. Raheel has been a popular speaker at the conference twice before.
- Gary Paterson, Moderator of the United Church of Canada, will challenge the audience to wrestle with new insights and frame a transformed church.
- Michael Dowd, an evolutionary theologian, author and evangelist for Big History, will explore how evidence-based faith can provide a realistically hopeful and inspiring vision of the future.
- Bob MacDonald, host of CBC’s popular Quirks and Quarks show, has been in the news as a result of his interviews with Chris Hadfield, the Canadian astronaut who recently commanded the Space Station. Bob will talk about recent epiphanies in the scientific world.
Our conference is followed by a post-conference workshop with Mike Piazza, Executive Co-Director of the Center for Progressive Renewal. He is an adjunct professor teaching church planning and renewal at the Pacific School of Religion and Chicago Theological Seminary. He co-authored the book Liberating Hope with Cameron Trimble in 2011. Mike was the senior pastor at the Cathedral of Hope in Dallas, Texas at a seminal time in its history when AIDS was devastating the LGBT community.
For more information and to register, please visit our website: http://epiphany.firstmetvictoria.com
See you this coming January!